Generally there are three ways that essential oils are utilised for their wellness and enhancing benefits:
- inhalation & diffusion
- topical application
- internal consumption
Inhalation & diffusion
Your senses are heightened when you inhale different essential oils and different responses are triggered depending on the essential oil being used. You can:
- Smell them directly from the bottle.
- Add them to a diffuser, which distributes the oil via a micro-fine vapour into the air. The oil is not heated which ensures that you enjoy the full benefits of the oil.
- Use the oil with a humidifier, but do not add the oil to the inside. Add a few drops of the oil to a cloth and place it in front of the outlet.
- Add a couple of drops to a bowl of steaming hot water. Cover your head and the bowl with a towel or tea towel and breathe in the vapour deeply and slowly. Enjoy this calm, relaxing moment, but please be mindful the steam isn’t hot enough to burn you!
Topical application is where essential oils are applied directly to the skin. Add a few drops of oil to the palm of your hand and then apply the oil directly onto the area that you wish.
Then gently massage it into the skin with a circular motion.
Be aware that pure Young Living essential oils are strong and we advise you to read the labels before using them. Also refer to the application charts showing the recommended dilution ratios. If irritation does occur then dilute the area with a pure vegetable oil such as V6, almond, olive or coconut oil.
The Young Living dietary supplements all contain essential oils and some make excellent food flavouring.
Young Living has gone through the rigorous process to have its essential oils tested by Government authorities to be approved as ‘Generally Safe for Consumption.’ If the essential oils are safe for consumption they will be labelled on the individual bottle.
The Culinary Collection includes 10 small bottles of the following essential oils that you can add to any of your favourite recipes: basil, black pepper, cinnamon bark, lavender, lemon, nutmeg, orange, oregano, peppermint, thyme.
There are over 30 Young Living essential oils that have been approved as food flavouring so dried herbs and fresh herb wastage can now be a thing of the past.
Because Young Living essential oils are 100% pure you will only need 1-2 drops for a great burst of flavour, so they’re great value for money too!
*** Please note that other essential oil companies do not have the same purity as Young Living and may NOT be safe for consumption. Unless the label clearly states they are safe for consumption, do NOT use them.
Practical Applications of Essential Oils
Aromatherapy is a system of therapy that uses the inhalation of essential oils to enhance physical, mental and emotional wellbeing. In some aromatherapy treatments the therapist will combine inhalation with topical application using gentle massage.
Massage is the physical manipulation of soft tissue with the intention of improving health. There are many different types of massage and the term covers a broad range of modalities with origins the world over.
Essential oils may be added to a carrier oil and used with the manipulation of the soft tissue but also may also be inhaled during a massage session to enhance the overall health benefits of the treatment.
Young Living has created a beautiful range of massage oils as well as a V6 base oil that you can add your favourite essential oils to.
An ideal application of essential oils is in products designed for personal care to promote the health of the skin and hair. They rejuvenate, refresh and relax, and Young Living has a number of fabulous products in their range.
- Bath – pamper yourself with any of the wide range of Young Living’s shower gels and soaps and also care for your children’s sensitive skin with the KidScents range.
- Body – Young Living has an extensive range of body products that will bring out the decadent you – hand and body lotions, soothing cooling mist, deodorants and lip balms.
- Hair – essential oil-infused shampoos and conditioners from Young Living are available for every hair type. They are available in daily use and moisturising formulations.
- Skin – the Young Living skin care line is a comprehensive collection of essential oil infused cleansers, serums, toners and creams that are designed to balance, soothe and enhance your complexion.
Natural Household Solutions
Many people do not realise that there are many practical applications for essential oils around the home. If you are concerned about using nasty chemicals to clean your home, or office, and adding artificial flavourings to foods, Young Living offers perfectly natural solutions to look after your home and workplace.
Essential oils can be used around the home for:
- Cooking – essentials oils such as lemon, nutmeg, peppermint and ginger are ideal in cooking. They need to be used in small amounts because of their potency and a few drops per person will bring flavour as well as the health benefits.
- Cleaning – essential oils can assist you with many cleaning tasks around the home and help to eliminate some of the nasty chemicals that you may currently be using. Oils such as cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, lemon, thyme, spruce, lemongrass, pine and grapefruit are the perfect addition to your cleaning regime.
- First Aid – did you know that many Young Living essential oils belong in your first aid kit? Young Living lavender is helpful for burns and can be used as an antiseptic. Peppermint can be used for an upset stomach and lemon for cleansing. Get the essential oils first aid chart here
Poor nutrition can lead to a variety of wellness concerns like fatigue, a compromised immune system, and poor digestion. Young Living makes it easy to incorporate better eating habits into your busy schedule. From the energising, replenishing, and fortifying benefits of NingXia Red, to a wide array whole food-sourced multi-vitamins and great-tasting, essential oil-infused meal replacements, Young Living has unique, effective solutions!
This range of Young Living nutritional products includes:
- Essential oil supplements for everyday use
- NingXia Red, with all the daily vitamins and antioxidants you need
- Longevity™, a blend of fat-soluble antioxidants
- OmegaGize provides essential levels of omega-3 fatty acid nutrients
- 5-Day Nutritive Cleanse™, a gentle and effective cleanse
- Digest + Cleanse™, helps digestion and eases gastrointestinal upset
- Balance Complete™, a high fibre meal replacement